|Job Title||Compliance Officer|
Falck is a global emergency medical services (EMS) provider originating from Denmark that currently services 4 states in the US: California, Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. Falck has been operating in the US since 2010 and is the second largest private provider of emergency medical services in the country today. Our BLS and ALS services impact not only the lives of our patients, but their families and communities.
No matter which part of the business you work in, it may be Sales, Operations, Finance, Communications, IT, Strategy, Legal, Procurement or HR, at Falck we work together with our colleagues to create more value. We all play a crucial part in creating value together. Your daily work behind the desk supports our colleagues out in the field and in the office.
Working closely with colleagues around the world or locally, you support the business in the development of solutions which contribute to building our business. You help your colleagues do their jobs, supporting our patients and strengthening our business. Whether it’s adapting and implementing new solutions or maintaining our existing ones, your colleagues rely on your work when they rescue, assist and reassure people in need of help.
The Compliance/Privacy Officer is a key position in support of maintaining compliance with HIPAA, Medicare/Medicaid and Falck’s Ethics & Compliance Program as well as Billing and local Operations. This position will support Falck’s San Diego operation as well as the City of San Diego’s EMS Division and is co-located with City EMS. The Compliance/Privacy Officer is responsible for verifying and gathering information to ensure Falck and the City EMS Division’s policies and procedures, and billing practices are compliant with regulatory agencies. The Compliance Officer must be very organized, detail oriented and be able to move from one process to another, efficiently, while handling numerous types of paperwork. This position has access to senior management, including Falck’s National Director of Compliance, who will also support Falck San Diego and the City EMS Division.
The Compliance/Privacy Officer’s duties may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide branch (Falck San Diego and City EMS) oversight for HIPAA compliance per Federal regulations.
- Review EPCRs to ensure compliance with laws
- Correspond and help train field staff to ensure they understand HIPAA and other laws of regulatory agencies
- Manage the compliance program to include development and policies
- Write, review, and monitor EMS policies
- Write, deliver, and manage compliance training
- Investigate, correct, and report on compliance issues (internal and external)
- Evaluate compliance risk and take corrective action
- Monitor contracts, billing practices, and pricing to ensure they are compliant with laws of regulatory agencies
- Develop and monitor safeguards for electronic and paper medical records
- Write, deliver, and manage HIPAA training
- Other duties as assigned by Falck San Diego or the City of San Diego EMS Division
The below qualifications represent the knowledge, skills, or ability necessary to perform this role, successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made for individuals with disabilities.
- Must be computer literate.
- Skilled in Microsoft Office Programs (ie: Excel and Word)
- Ability to type a minimum of 45 wpm.
- Must have knowledge of medical terminology.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
- Ability to communicate both, orally and in writing, in a professional manner when dealing with employees and management.
- Ability to work independently of direct supervision.
- Ability to work overtime when required.
- Minimum 2 years healthcare compliance and privacy experience.
- Able to effectively adjust to rapidly changing priorities in a growing company.
The individual in this position must possess the following education requirements:
- National Academy of Ambulance Compliance (NAAC), Certified Ambulance Compliance Officer (CACO) - Or willingness to obtain
- National Academy of Ambulance Compliance (NAAC), Certified Ambulance Privacy Officer (CAPO) - Or willingness to obtain
- High School Diploma and/or Compliance/Privacy (desired, not required)
While performing this role, the employee is regularly required to handle or feel objects, keyboards, or phones, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is primarily required to sit and type. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 5 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The mental demands described here represent those that must be met, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Occasionally: Memorization, critical judgment, problem solving.
Frequently: Simple and complex mathematic skills, reasoning, ability to read, interpret and correspond in various written communication formats.
Constantly: Logic, ethical judgment and reasoning, active listening skills, decision making, ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats.
This position requires operational familiarity with the following equipment to perform essential functions of this job.
Occasionally: Fax machine, copy machine, hole-punch, calculator, and laminator.
Frequently: Printer, clock.
Constantly: Telephone, computer.
The working conditions described here represent those encountered while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Driving approximately 20% of time. Will need to visit stations and attend meetings.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and a loud environment.
The statements in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. This document in no way constitutes a contract of employment. Falck USA reserves the right to modify job descriptions, policies or any other procedural documents at any time, for any reason without prior notice.
Falck is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. An Equal Opportunity Employer. Our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, military status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.