|Job Title||Data Specialist|
|Reports to||Planning/Ops Division Manager|
Falck is a global emergency medical services (EMS) provider originating from Denmark that currently services 4 states in the US: California, Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. Falck has been operating in the US since 2010 and is the second largest private provider of emergency medical services in the country today. Our BLS and ALS services impact not only the lives of our patients, but their families and communities.
Working within San Diego Fire-Rescue EMS Division , we are looking for a strong, proactive Data Specialist to join our San Diego team. As a member of the San Diego team, you will collaborate with a multidisciplinary group to facilitate data retrieval and interpretation that will inform 911 emergency medical response. This role will require an agile approach, as some projects may be deployed rapidly in response to disasters or other emerging issues. In other cases, long-term planning will be feasible when supporting academic activities or other general data projects. You will be based in San Diego, CA. This role will require a flexible approach and should be considered when applying. This role supports the data and technology needs of both Falck San Diego and the City of San Diego EMS Division and will work directly with Falck and City staff.
As well as providing data support to the business and the City, you will also support ongoing improvements or changes in data processes from the origination of data at the 911 incident, to the end state. This will require interfacing with data engineers, data analysts, vendors, and Information Technology (IT) staff. This position may require equipment configuration and other basic IT processes on cardiac monitors, iPADs, other devices used by 911 providers to capture data, or other similar equipment for both Falck and the City.
Reporting to the Planning /Ops Division Manager, you will be co-located with City EMS staff and required to carry out the following tasks:
- Coordinate with EMS leadership and EMS physicians to determine data needs
- Convert data needs into appropriate Scripted Query Language (SQL) format
- Create visualization and/or analysis of data results
- Work within the National Emergency Medical Services Information System (NEMSIS) data structure
- Provide IT support or collaboration on bespoke services and applications
- Understand, follow and promote Global IT processes and governance
- Coordinate with the Electronic Documentation Coordinator
- Assist City staff in the management or coordination of clinical devices that collect or transmit data (Zoll monitors, Lucas devices, etc.) and provide data support to users
- Develop and provide education to Falck and City staff on data-related matters
- Manage City EMS data, prepare reports, and develop EMS presentations as required
- Research and help develop future EMS technology
- Work with FirstWatch, City Emergency Command and Data Center, City Performance and Analytics, WATER, Zoll, and other partners or vendors
- Other tasks as assigned to support Falck and the City EMS Division
- Technical knowledge and experience using MS Products such as Windows 10, Office 365 packages, 365, OneDrive, SharePoint, Teams/Skype
- Strong knowledge of SQL
- Exposure to predictive analytic solutions and an ability to collaborate with City staff on projects involving predictive analytics, including machine learning and statistics
- Exposure to ETL practices and an ability to collaborate with City staff on projects involving ETL
- Proficiency in building visualization dashboards (e.g. Power BI, Grafana/Prometheus, Tableau)
- Good communication skills in English
- Clean driving licence and use of own car
- Able to travel and work away from home when required
- Ability to work remotely
- Knowledge on best practices on information and security protocols
- Knowledge of ambulance, dispatch, and billing operations
- Familiarity with NEMSIS and Priority Dispatch data structures
- Ability to deliver training programs to assist with implementation and ongoing training on data components of ePCR and other technology
- Former EMT or Medic experience desired
While performing this role, the employee is regularly required to handle or feel objects, keyboards, or phones, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is primarily required to sit and type. The employee is occasionally required to stand or walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The mental demands described here represent those that must be met, to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Occasionally: Memorization, critical judgment, problem solving.
Frequently: Simple and complex mathematic skills, reasoning, ability to read, interpret and correspond in various written communication formats.
Constantly: Logic, ethical judgment and reasoning, active listening skills, decision making, ability to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats.
This position requires operational familiarity with the following equipment to perform essential functions of this job.
Occasionally: Fax machine, copy machine, hole-punch, calculator, and laminator.
Frequently: Printer, clock.
Constantly: Telephone, computer.
The working conditions described here represent those encountered while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to for individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Driving approximately 15% of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and a loud environment.
The statements in this document are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to the classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. This document in no way constitutes a contract of employment. Falck USA reserves the right to modify job descriptions, policies or any other procedural documents at any time, for any reason without prior notice.
Falck is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. An Equal Opportunity Employer. Our employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, gender identity, gender expression, citizenship, ancestry, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, military status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.